Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Beer Dinner

First off, If anyone still reads here, sorry that I haven't posted in forever.

Now onward. Last weekend the Wife and I hosted a Beer Dinner. This is exactly like our wine dinners however each course is paired with a crafted beer. This idea was spurned on by the Wife and I discovering a little hole in the wall called Sam's Blue Light. From the outside it looks just like any other almost ghetto quick stops. On the inside though is the largest beer selection I've ever seen. And it has a very knowledgeable staff to match. The dinner was a new venture for me so I had to enlist help. I have a good friend, Katy, who is very knowledgeable in the field of beverages and she helped me out.

With it being Fall I wanted to feature Fall tastes. So pumpkin was definitely a flavor I wanted. I also wanted to use butternut squash, sweet potatoes and duck. With my general interests found, it was now time to write the menu.


First Course:
Pumpkin Gnocchi
with Frisee Lettuce, Spicy Pecans, Gorganzola, Brown Butter Sauce

Beer: Dogfish Head - Punkin Ale

Second Course:
Duck Con Fit
House made Ravioli stuffed with Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese
Sage Cream Sauce

Beer: Unibroue - La Fin du Monde

Third Course:
Pan Seared Duck Breast
Beer Braised Red Cabbage, Sweet Potato Risotto, Cherry Duck Sauce

Beer: Dr Fritz Briem - 1809

Dessert:
Pumpkin Bread Bread Pudding

Beer: Omegang - Three Philosophers

As always the dessert course is made by the Wife. The diner was amazing and the beer matched very well with each course. I'd have to say my favorite was the 2nd course. All of the flavors were extremely well balanced. And the beer chosen to go along with it was perfect. And then the dessert course was amazing. The bread pudding was cooked to perfection and such the perfect combination of flavors to end the night on a great note.



4 comments:

debusbee@bellsouth.net said...

Yes, people still read here. I am sorry to be so far away, as that dinner sounds just perfect. I can forsee the bed and breakfast of the Busbee tucked neatly in the hills of North Carolina somewhere, or off the beaten path by the sea...dreams are good, your dinner is the inspiration.

Jeni said...

Sounds very fall-esque Jed. The only things I could even think of that are missing is leaves and apples! Very inventive menu. I'm curious to see if you'll end up with any of the courses at the restaurant!

Anonymous said...

Nice beer selection. Not sure about the Dr Fritz, but whatever. What was your favorite beer and why?

Jed said...

Actually it was hard to pick a favorite beer. But I'd have to say the La Fin du Monde was. I've actually had that one before. It's a little bit hoppy but well balanced. And it complimented that course so well. I also enjoyed the 1809. This was something I'd never had before. It is made in the Berliner Weisse style. All of the beers I'll drink again. The punkin head was a fairly typical fall beer. And the Three Philosophers is a great stand alone beer as well.