Friday, July 25, 2008

My requested response

It seems as though I have sparked a debate, which is what I hope to do on some of these posts.As I've said before I'm still undecided, so no matter what is said here doesn't mean I'm giving my final backing of one candidate. I'm just putting facts out there, and asking for opposing opinions.

I agree with Jeni that you shouldn't judge a man by his name alone. But I do believe you should judge him by his history. And frankly Obama's history so far hasn't matched his promises for his future. Some of his history being relationships and voting record. In this the early stages of his campaign, how many relationships has he already had to denounce? And I know some will say those are in his past, but how far back do we stop looking. And a few of these aren't really in the past. Also, his voting record in the senate. I didn't realize that voting "present" counted as being against the war from the beginning. As any politician will tell you, if you stay home on election day, you have just cast a "yes" vote for the opposition. Does anyone here realize that Obama voted "present" over 100 times in his short tenure in the senate? He's been campaigning for almost two years now so that doesn't leave much time for him to have actually voted "present" now does it?

Also, would someone please persuade me as to why we should vote for a man (and his hateful wife) who at every chance have removed the American Flag from sight. Obama refuses to wear the lapel pin that every other member of gov't wears, and he has removed the flag from his personal campaign aircraft and replaced it with his "O". And how do you expect to lead and gain the respect of, men and women who swear to fight and die for you if you wont salute the flag that they swear to protect, Especially as the President. And I've heard that he says it's b/c some people/nations find our flag offensive. That's like saying I want to be the pastor of the church but I'm not going to teach/use the Bible b/c some people don't believe in it.
All that being said, I do believe that if you don't agree with something you should change it. So I can understand wanting to make some changes.

I do wish that we could leave religion out of politics. But you can't! I firmly believe that what a man says he believes has true bearing on how he makes decisions. It can be seen in his character. It is obvious when a politician who has a surface level understanding of Christianity tries to act like he's been a devout Bible reader all his life. You can't fake it. By that same token if you have been a devout Christian and church goer your whole life, it can be seen in daily operations of your life and decisions you make. Our country is facing a crossroads in our moral standing. And we need to know what each man trying to run this country believes, how he believes, and how he carries out those beliefs.

And again, the decisions people make. This brings us back to history. What kind of decisions have John McCain and Barack Obama made? For that matter throw in Bob Barr. How many of these decisions have been good for our country? How many bad? Can someone please show me where Obama has made a good decision FOR our country. And I'd like an example of legislation he was the author of, not co-sponsor, sponsor, tag-along, please put my name on that good idea. I've heard he did a few good things while on the Illinois state senate. But nothing since becoming a national Senator.

I will rest here as not to become to long winded. I hope that this will help in the discussion. Because all I want out of this election is for everyone who casts a vote to have both sides of the story and make sure that we are putting the BEST man in the job, be he Liberal, Conservative, or Libertarian.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Jed. I don't have much time to write a long response, but you have hit the nail on the head. I believe that we have allowed ourselves to be so overwhelmed by the Conservative media and their (I dare say) lies about Obama that it clouds our judgement and we do not look beyond the surface and gain for ourselves a firm understanding of why we should/should not support a particular candidate. I am really tired of getting e-mails about how Revelations says in Chapter 13 that the anti-Christ is of Muslim descent and in his 40's. Really? Did you read your Bible this morning? Mine doesn't say that. I can go on all day long....

We need to stop buying in to the propaganda and educate ourselves on the candidates. If you don't do that, then shame on you and don't come a whining at my front door when the candidate you voted for does something that you don't like. I don't support Obama, but not because of the Limbaugh Lies (as I like to call them), but because of the many reasons Jed already posted plus more.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, these are just more lies. Don't take MY word for it. Visit www.fightthesmears.com and check out this exact rumor. You can see how there IS an American flag on Obama's plane. Granted, it isn't obnoxiously huge and in your face like a Nazi flag, but it is there. Oh - and a person can love his country and be willing to die for it without having to wear their country's flag on their lapel. The whole flag obsession (PDP as I like to call it, "Public display of patriotism), began with 09/11. Before then, no one gave a crap. Maybe Obama feels the flag represents something more than just a clothing accessory or home decor. Maybe after studying history, he finds something in common with zealous flag-wearing/displaying and fascist dictators. Maybe he feels the American flag has now become a sign of Old Navy. Who knows? All I know is I don't want to be told what to wear, and it has nothing to do with whether or not I love my country. Oh - and if I didn't love my country, I don't think I would run for president - I think there are plenty of anti-American terrorist organizations I could work with more effectively.