Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ummmmm..........




So it's been a while since the last blog. It kinda feels like forever ago. This is how busy my week has seemed. I'm just a milisecond away from finishing the bathroom. The tile has been laid and is gorgeous.
The final problem has been replacing the toilet in the place it last occupied. In trying to level the floor to put the tile in, I found that my foundation wasn't all that level to begin with. So the toilet rocked a little. To fix that, I had to go get shims to place under it. Once that problem was taken care of the next problem showed up.The floor is now higher, which meant that the connecting hose from the wall to the toilet is now NOT long enough. I found this out by trying to connect it anyway, turning on the water to the hose and finding an ever so slight leak, (YEA!). So now back to the hardware store for a longer hose. "That should do it", I tell the wife. WRONG (as if you couldn't see it coming).Now from all the jostling about of this 13+ year old toilet, all of the seals are deciding that they are old and worn and will leak. So again, off to the hardware store we go; all this little extra spending to the wifes extreme delight :-( All the while I'm reassuring her that the toilet is old and things like this come up. The good news is all of these things I'm learning will make the next bathroom easier, and some of the things I've already bought have enough to do both bathrooms. So we'll see tomorrow how things turn out. We need to have the bathroom ready to go b/c we are having guests on Saturday, which brings me to the other thing that has made the week run by.

This Saturday the wife and I are hosting a dinner party for some friends. A little thing we like to do ever so often. I create a menu, The Wife comes up with dessert, we pair wines with each course, and for fun Wife creates a beautiful printed menu for each of the guests to have. It's great fun. ( we want to do a beer dinner next) Anyways, this year my garden has been doing great so I'm doing things that will allow me to use fresh garden ingredients. After the weekend I will post the menu. I don't want any of the guests ( if any of them reads this) to know ahead of time what's in store. That's part of the fun for me. They come and put full trust in my hands. Each time I do one of these I try something I've never done before, as does the Wife with the desserts. So we'll see how they like it.

Just because I can't not say something political. Al Sharpton has been found guilty of all kinds of tax evasion and fraud. This makes me giggle inside. Also, the Federal Minimum Wage has been raised to $6 something an hour. More of a rant on this later.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

Jed - If the toilet is still in the shower on Saturday, I'm using your master bathroom.

In all seriousness, plumping issues suck. We learned that our first weekend in our house. Too much or too little tension or pressure and it's all fucked. I feel your pain.

Oh and the tile looks beautiful. I can't wait to see it!

Melanie Busbee said...

I already know what you are going to say about minimum wage being raised. Aren't you the one who believes minimum wage should stay low because only people in high school are working minimum wage jobs, and if we increase the minimum wage, then no one will strive for higher education, degrees, promotions, etc.??

Jeni said...

Um I meant to say plumbing not plumping. Though plumping issues suck unless you're referring of course to a ball park frank...

Maria said...

The tile looks really nice.
As for the dinner party, I am envious!!, as I have been privileged to have eaten some of your culinary delights before.
Your MIL